Quantcast

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gary Roberts and Chris Chelios Are Old

PSAMP HAS MOVED! CLICK HERE TO GET TO THE BRAND NEW SITE! NOW!


How money is the Winnipeg Sun?

Straight from their desks, because I'm a blogger in my mom's basement, sitting in my underwear eating Bagel Bites (those things are killer, though) while only wearing my undies as I recycle other folks' stories, comes the realization that both the Pens and Wings have guys who played against each other for a Cup once. In 1989.

And now that I've mentioned it, I really want some Bagel Bites.

Flash back to '89, and we've got a local hockey team with no Cups to its name. Gary Roberts is a second year winger on the eventual Cup-winning Flames. Chris Chelios was finishing up his 15th season as a defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens (Chelios is old).

Both players have won Lord Stanley since Roberts bested Chelios in '89, but while Chelios is a sure-fire HOFer, look at the Sun's recap of Roberts' career:

[Roberts] has been an all-star, had his career ended by injury, made a remarkable comeback, lived through two lockouts, almost carried the Toronto Maple Leafs to a Cup final, changed his life with a second marriage and second family, signed as a free agent in Florida and was traded to Pittsburgh at the deadline one year ago.

He won a Cup in his second full season in Calgary; He has not played for one since.

Unreal timeline.

While I don't like how most sports outlets like to give past stats as a way to predict current outcomes (i.e. Roberts is 1-0 lifetime against Chelios in the Finals), I'd hope that history CAN repeat itself, and despite the change in decades and teams, Roberts can prevail over Chelios once more.

Oh, and I know this is kinda old, but Gary Roberts doesn't hate Pittsburgh. Same can't be said for Chelios and Detroit.



Go Pens!

PSAMP HAS MOVED! CLICK HERE TO GET TO THE BRAND NEW SITE! NOW!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)