Quantcast

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Monday Morning Chrysler New Yorker

PSAMP HAS MOVED! CLICK HERE TO GET TO THE BRAND NEW SITE! NOW!



Hooray! Here's a special Sunday evening edition of Monday Morning Chrysler New Yorker. Technically, it works, seeing as how the game was yesterday. Also, your hard-working part-time Pittsburgh blogger might not make it around tomorrow. I have my reasons.

We lost. Simple as that. All the positives from last week went down the tubes, so its time to call it even, and start from scratch.

Like an escape tunnel in prison, I started from scratch...

If you know what that is, you rule. It seemed to fit.

I, personally, had an awesome time at the game. Win or lose, Steelers atmosphere is the best. I went with my buddy Bob and his pal Kev. Me and Bob had a great time. Kev would've had a great time as well, but the (hick-ish) family sitting next to him talked at great lengths about everything under the sun. To Kevin. Who they never met before. Many a knowing/hilarious glare was passed through section 521.

I even saw an old college friend who moved to another school. I hadn't seen him in a couple years, but their he was, climbing the ramps of the closed end of the stadium with right with us. For sheer fun, long-lost Craig gets 5 of 5 motorcycle helmets!

The Steelers scored the first 9 points in the game. Sweet. The Pack scored the final 13. Not so sweet. In my usual (still tentative) fashion, I'll pick several of the bright spots, while also acknowledging the warts.

Ben Roethlisberger. He finished 2 for 2. A 100 percent completion rate is nothing to gripe about. However, Ben looked out of rhythm. One of the completions was low, and the much-lauded no-huddle looked shabby. I want Ben to play more, and I know this will happen as the preseason wears on. However, the preseason doesn't last forever, and Ben needs to get more reps. 3 of 5 motorcycle helmets for Ben.

Walter Young. Touchdown, baby. WY's been my guy (here, too.) I've been wanting him to make the team for the past few camps. The dude is 6'4, 220. He shows flashes of brilliance at odd times, then disappears. He averaged 17 yards a catch last season (although I will concede that he only had one catch last season). WY finished with 2 catches for 50 yards and a score. That score covered 41 yards, where WY bounced off a would-be tackler and made his way to the house. 5 of 5 motorcycle helmets for the PSaMP fave.

Gary Russell. 6.2 yards per carry average. That's a hardcore number. Unfortunately for fellow PSaMP fave Carey Davis, there was only 60 minutes in the game. Davis did, however make the tackle on the opening kickoff. Here's to versatility, baby. Russell led the team with 9 carries, and seemed to hit the holes he was given. His 9 touches included a 19 yard scamper. Next week, Tomlin could surprise everyone by reversing the Davis/Russell roles. Russell played smart, and didn't waste his opportunity. Since Davis made it into Russell's mention, he gets at least 2 of 5 motorcycle helmets, while Russell pulls in 4 of 5 of his own.

Deee-Fense. The first team looks sick. The offense struggled last night. Everyone knows that. The defense made the game winnable. The sacks aren't where I'd like them to be, but Brett Favrve was under some serious pressure (see above photo. I'd lay mean skidmarks in my gutchies if I saw a Samoan blur like that). Two games in the books, and the first team hasn't allowed a touchdown. First string opposing QBs Brees (6 yards) and Favre (7 yards) have combined for 13 total passing yards. The run defense was not as flattering, but I'll sacrifice the run defense for the current pass defense. For now. 4 of 5 motorcycle helmets for the first team, 3 of 5 overall.

Mason Crosby. Threw ya for a loop. I had to mention Crosby, PSaMP's draft pick in Awful Announcing's Sportsbloggers Mock Draft. The guy kicked a 52 yard field goal into the open end of the Big Ketchup Bottle. Deserving of a quick mention and 4 of 5 motorcycle helmets. He missed out on the fifth helmet by kicking the FG against the Steelers.

Have a good Monday if I don't see you.

PSAMP HAS MOVED! CLICK HERE TO GET TO THE BRAND NEW SITE! NOW!

No comments: